L.A. Perkins, ESQ
Phone: (561) 467-4001
Fax: (561) 467-4009
5301 N. Federal Highway, Suite 110
Boca Raton, Florida 33487
- J.D., Stetson University College of Law (Staff member, Stetson Law Review)
- B.B.A., with honors, International Finance & Marketing, University of Miami
- Florida Supreme Court Certified, Circuit Civil Mediator and Family Mediator
- Foreclosure Mediation Certificate
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Board of Directors
- South Palm Beach County Bar Association (2010 to present; Secretary, 2017-2018; Treasurer, 2018-2019; President-Elect, 2019-2020; President, 2020-2021; Past-President, 2021-2022)
- Florida Atlantic University, Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters (Advisory Board, 2004 to 2014)
Ms. Perkins, a former President of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association, has more than 24 years of experience litigating cases in federal and state courts, including representing clients in jury trials. She focuses her practice on counseling, litigation, and mediation in the area of intellectual property law. She is a brand protection attorney strategist who is passionate about helping business owners identify, protect, and enforce their intellectual property rights so they can increase the value of their businesses and avoid costly mistakes. Ms. Perkins has represented clients in a broad range of matters, including, but not limited to, trademark registrations, copyright registrations, trademark infringement, copyright infringement, patent infringement, trade secret counseling and disputes, unfair competition, computer fraud, promotion and marketing disputes, and employment matters. She has represented individuals to Fortune 100 companies and has served clients in a variety of industries, including technology, finance, internet marketing, fashion, pharmaceutical, hospitality, home health care, medical, publishing, and more. In addition to litigating cases in Florida, Ms. Perkins has litigated cases in California, Colorado, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, New York and Wisconsin.
Prior to starting her own law firm, Ms. Perkins was a partner at Fox Rothschild, LLP and Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLP.
In 2021, Ms. Perkins was recognized by Super Lawyers™ as a super lawyer in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation. Ms. Perkins currently serves as the Past-President of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association for the 2021-2022 bar year; she has served for more than 10 years on the Board of Directors of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association. In 2018, Ms. Perkins received the President’s Award from the President of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association for her ongoing dedication and commitment to the bar association. Ms. Perkins was appointed by the Florida Bar to serve on Grievance Committee 15F where she is currently the Chair and serving her second term on the committee. Members of the Grievance Committee are responsible for continuing the investigation of possible lawyer misconduct referred by Bar Discipline attorneys. Ms. Perkins has received an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. According to Martindale-Hubbell, the rating indicates the highest level of skill, integrity and professional conduct. This distinction is awarded to less than eight percent of all United States lawyers and Ms. Perkins has received this distinction for more than 10 years. Ms. Perkins has also received a 10.0, Avvo Rating, on a scale of 1 (Extreme Caution) to 10 (Superb).
- Represented employer and resolved case against an employee who violated a non-compete agreement and stole trade secrets.
- Represented and resolved case where re-sellers of clothing on Amazon were served with a cease-and-desist letter for copyright infringement.
- Represented landlord sued by a designer because its tenant as selling knock-off jewelry; resolved case pre-litigation.
- Obtained resolution of a lawsuit in favor of client who was accused of trademark infringement, proving the security company that brought the claim engaged in naked licensing and, therefore, lost its trademark rights.
- Negotiated high level executive employment agreements where the executive and company both had intellectual property rights to protect.
- Represented a marketing company against an infringer of its copyrighted design materials; resulted in stopping the infringement, destruction of infringing copies and damages for infringement.
Ms. Perkins is the Past-President of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association; she served as President during the 2020-2021 bar year. As a member of the Board of Directors of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association for more than 10 years, she was instrumental in starting the Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the Health & Wellness Committee. She is also a graduate of the Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Boca program and gives back to the community by being an inspirational speaker in a court intervention program for troubled teenagers. She has also served as a court-appointed Guardian Advocate in Palm Beach County, representing persons who are involuntarily hospitalized under the Baker Act and have no family members to act on their behalf. Ms. Perkins serves as a member of the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit, Grievance Committee “F”; she was re-appointment by The Florida Bar to serve a second three-year term where she is responsible for continuing the investigation of possible lawyer misconduct referred by Bar discipline attorneys.
In the News
- Mentioned, Super Lawyers South Florida edition 2021, Super Lawyer in Intellectual Property Litigation
- Featured, The National Law Journal (April 2021), Recognized as Top Rated Lawyer
- Featured, The American Lawyer (April 2021), Recognized as Top Rated Lawyer
- Featured, The National Law Journal (March 2021), Recognized as Top Rated Lawyer
- Featured, Attorney at Law Magazine, Top Lawyers & Law Firms 2019
- Mentioned, “News and Notes,” Florida Bar News (September 1, 2019)
- Commentary, Copyright Infringement Lawsuit filed against Led Zeppelin, THELAW.TV (June 2014)
- Commentary, Copyright Infringement Lawsuit filed against Taylor Swift by Lucky 13, THELAW.TV (June 2014)
- Commentary, Controversy Over Manziel Trademark Filing, THELAW.TV (April 8, 2014)
- Featured, 2014 Attorney to Watch, Attorney at Law Magazine (January 7, 2014)
- Featured, “After Hours: South Palm Beach County Bar Association Annual Installation Gala,” Daily Business Review (June 8, 2012)
- Featured, “South Florida Lawyers Stress Importance of Courts to Public,” Daily Business Review (May 1, 2012)
- Mentioned, “People,” Daily Business Review (April 14, 2011)
- Featured, “After Hours: Florida Association of Women Lawyers, Palm Beach County Chapter Membership Luncheon,” Daily Business Review (January 25, 2011)
- Mentioned, “News and Notes,” Florida Bar News (January 1, 2010)
- Panelist, 4th Litigation Funding Conference, discussing litigator viewpoints (March 8, 2019)
- Panelist, “Having It All: Strategies for Success!”, Diversity & Inclusion Committee, South Palm Beach County Bar Association (May 25, 2016)
- Panelist, Commercial Law Session, Palm Beach County Bar Association, Bench Bar Conference (March 27, 2015)
- Guest Lecturer, Intellectual Property Law, Palm Beach State College (February 18, 2015)
- Moderator, “Successful Diversity Initiatives: Perspectives from In-House Counsel and Leading Law Firms,” South Palm Beach County Bar Association (October 10, 2014)
- Speaker, “Strategies for Corporate Data Management in the Age of E-Discovery,” Association of Corporate Counsel America South Florida Chapter, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (May 19, 2011)
- Moderator, “Trademark Basics – What Every Business Owner and Attorney Should Know,” Intellectual Property Committee, South Palm Beach County Bar Association, Boca Raton, Florida (March 24, 2010)
- Panelist, “Examining Non-Compete, Confidentiality and Independent Contractor Agreements from an Intellectual Property Standpoint,” Intellectual Property Committee, South Palm Beach County Bar Association, Boca Raton, Florida (September 23, 2009)
- Speaker, “What You Should Know About Protecting Your Website,” Successful Women in Business, Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce, Boca Raton, Florida (November 20, 2008)
- Speaker, “Employee Background Checks – Practical Pointers,” National Association of Women Business Owners, Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Chapter, Fort Lauderdale, Florida (July 12, 2004)
- Speaker, “Performance Appraisals: Valuable Training Tools or Plaintiff’s Exhibit?” Quarles & Brady, LLP, Labor and Employment Law Conference, Naples, Florida (May 24, 2001)